Another cutting board. This time using three different kinds of wood by adding cherry with the usual maple and walnut. I miscalculated this one and cut my strips to short. On top of that, I gave up some more wood than expected. I needed to do some extra jointing when some strips ended up bowing on me after cutting.
Anyway, the board is smaller than expected both in length and thickness. The design though is interesting. This cherry and maple don’t really contrast as much I’d like though. I’ll try again with a slightly different pattern and be sure to leave some extra wood.
When we got married, we had a gift that came in a little 12×8 wooden box. My wife has been using this box to store our favorite artwork from the kids. It’s been overflowing and she requested I make a bigger one.
This is another miter box with splines. I originally set out to make the cover by resawing thin veneer, then laminating it to plywood. I had 1/8-inch plywood and two 1/8-inch pieces of wood. This would about match the 3/8-inch sides. That was the plan anyway. The resawing went well on the bandsaw and then I planed it all down to 1/8-inch on the drum sander. The issue was I didn’t measure right and came up short for a cover. The plan was to try gluing it together then cutting it open and add hinges. This sat in the corner for a couple months before I gave up and just made a new cover by gluing boards together and calling it good.
This was made using reclaimed barn wood from a nearby barn. The dealer had a pile of assorted hardwood and I picked out some boards that I assume is oak. I milled this down and cut out the best sections. Then I glued together boards to make the box sides.
I like the way the barn wood looks. I don’t like working with it though. There’s a lot more pine available, so I could probably be more picky on the boards, but it was a chore to mill these flat and then work around major defects. I don’t mind the nail holes and small splits, but rot and other defects not too much. The biggest issue though was this stuff is really hard on my blades. After a couple projects, I had to replace the blades on my jointer and planer. One tip I figured out is to clean up the wood before running it through machines. I tried using a belt sander to clean things up and flatten a bit. It made a heck of a mess even with dust collection. Not sure I’m in much of a hurry to do anything with the other boards I’ve got.
Anyway, I finished this up with a couple coats of Arm-R-Seal Semi-Gloss.
I made a utility box to hold my various sharpening gear. I’ve got a bunch of stones/plates, guides, and accessories.
This is just plain pine from the big box store. I think I started with 1×10, jointed out the bows and twists, then milled it down to 3/8-inch. The bottom is 1/4-inch plywood set in a dado. The top is made from gluing two boards together and planing down to 1/4-inch. This was my second try on the cover. The first time the planer blew out a knot in the wood as I approached 1/4-inch. The second time I stopped around 1/2-inch – 3/8-inch and finished it off with the drum sander. My handle on the lid drifted on me when I glued it down, so it’s not centered.
I also added splines to the corners using my spine jig. I like this box construction method. It seems the easiest for me and I think the splines look neat, although they don’t really pop with the pine.
I finished it off with semi-gloss Arm-R-Seal. I used four coats because I expect there will be some water involved if everything doesn’t dry out. I think I prefer a satin finish.
I made this dresser organizer out of cherry. For the joints, I used the Porter Cable dovetail jig again, but I tried doing the mini version of the jig since it was a smaller project. This is a little tedious and was a challenge to cut dados in pins so small. I’ll probably stick with the full sized jig as long as size permits.
Anyway, this turned out well. I finished it with boiled linseed oil and furniture wax. It’s a nice looking finish with rich color and the wax gives the wood a little shine while keeping the grain texture.
I made this holder for the coasters project. I made two actually, one for the coasters gift and second for my set.
I thought about a few different ways of doing this. I ended up doing contrasting maple and walnut pieces and jointed them a dovetail rabbet joint. To hold them together, I made pins made of walnut. The pins are mortised through the maple and go into the walnut. It should support the joint and looks nifty. I was going to do a dowel, but a little extra work for square pins.
I had a failed cutting board that I turned into coasters. I got a request to make a set for a Christmas present. So, here’s an intentional version of a same thing. Maple and walnut. The maple has a mineral stain running through it for some interesting character.
I got a little fancy with these and added a chamfer to the edges. The bottom has a piece of felt spray glued. I finished with three coats of wipe on poly.
This is getting practice using the Porter Cable Dovetail jig. I got the bottom right this time around. I remembered and correctly did a partial dado on the router table. One side starts inside the tails and the other goes through the pins, which is concealed by the joint. I messed up the top though. I planned on doing a rabbet to set in a simple lid, but fogged out and went through to the ends. Also, the lid was a little messed up. I tried to join to pieces together and it didn’t work out quite as planned. Somewhere along the way I also managed to get mixed up on sides and I put a dado on the wrong end. It really pays to label and pay attention.
Anyway, I’m happy with the dovetails and got the hang of the jig, which was the goal. I may use this to store router parts, although I want to make a bit storage box. I just put wipe on poly as a finish.