Make 26, Week 15
This is a new crosscut sled for my new saw. The old sled didn’t fit the new miter slots. This time around I made a few changes.
First, I use 1/2-inch birch plywood rather than particle board. I also didn’t do a front fence. This is much lighter and also without a front fence, larger workpieces can extend off of the sled.
The fence is two pieces of 3/4-inch birch plywood laminated together. I also screwed a block behind the blade area. This will give a place to bury the blade and be a guide of where to not place fingers. This block is screwed into the sled so it’s also helping to hold to two pieces of the sled together. Also, two blocks at the end screwed into the fence. This is basically somewhere to hold when moving the sled with the hope of not putting to much stress on the fence. Lastly, I used walnut for the miter rails.
We’ll see how this holds up.
It seems to be pretty square. I did a 5 cut on about a 10-inch board and it came out to I guess 0.0009 inches off. I think that’s probably close enough.